Okay. Linux certifications. I want to get Linux certified. Last January I took an online Linux essentials training that I liked, but it is not from a specific path. I’ve already seen a few certifications but which is best? Which to choose?
I think training sites will help me because I haven’t been much of a reader lately, but what training site to use? Well, that is point 3 on the calender for today.
Huh, but what about point 1 and 2? These points are somewhat easier because they are in my TO DO list already: what TO DO with my cloudpro.zone server and which technologies still to look at (technologies I’ve come across a couple of times and that I had to look up what they did).
TO DO cloudpro.zone
- Finalize WordPress on cloudpro.zone, choose the final theme for instance, choose links to essential websites, etc.
- Configure mail server to host my own mail
- Configure Owncloud server to phase out Dropbox
- Harden the cloudpro.io server
TO DO technologies
So there are a few certification paths to take
- CompTIA Linux+
- LPI LPIC
- The Linux Foundation
- The Red Hat
- Different other vendor specific certifications like SUSE and Oracle
And there are lot of different opinions of what is best.
CompTIA Linux+ and LPI LPIC certifications do have a overlap and they are question based. You have x hours time with x questions and you have to answer the questions in the available time. The Linux Foundation and Red Hat certifications are performance based. You have a server, have x time and you have to solve one or more problems or setup one or more services.
The last 3 from the list are the ones I’m not going to take. Those require a lot of knowledge and hands-on experience that I simply do not have. The CompTIA and LPI certificates are a bit more for a beginner like me. After days of searching and debating what is the best way, I think I’ve come to a conclusion about what path to take:
Path to take from here
- Earn the LPI Linux Essentials certification – Exam code LPI 010-150
- Earn the CompTIA Linux+ certification – Exam codes LX0-103 and LX0-104
- The CompTIA Linux+ certifications earns me the LPIC-01 from LPI after following these instructions (at the bottom)
- Therefore the next step would be to earn the LPIC-02 certifications – Exam codes 201-450 and 202-450
Which training sites could help….?